Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My 'Art of Living' Experience..

It all started on a fine day when I mentioned to my Amma that I wanted to go for some yoga class to improve my concentration level. She mentioned to me that there is going to be a one week beginners yoga class few blocks from my apartment. My neighbor and I set out for the first session last Tuesday and I was excited. As I entered the hall I saw people of different ages, the oldest being 65 and we were asked to fill out some forms. After all the formalities we were asked to settle down and the person who is our guruji (teacher) dressed in white jhubba asked us to form a group of four. And I was like 'Ok why do we need to form a group for yoga'. Then we were asked to again settle down and he officially began the session and it was then I realized that I have actually come to attend the Beginners Course Part I of the Art of Living ( I was like 'Duh!!! What do I do?' ).

Then, I realized I had no choice but to continue the course for 3 reasons: I already paid the course fees, I told my friends about my joining the yoga and they already bet I would quit before I began (so no way I am quitting) and I really didn't know what the whole Art of Living thinggy was, so why not give it a shot .

First day went fine we had few warm up sessions and few exercises which was fun. By the end of the session we were asked to take only vegetarian food and drink lots of water before the next session. On the second day I was excited to do the exercises but it was different because he taught us Sudarshan Kriya (http://us.artofliving.org/art-of-living-course/sudarshan-kriya.html). It is a breathing based technique or the healing breath. Sudarshan Kriya incorporates specific natural rhythms of breath to release stress and bring the mind to the present moment. I wanted to quit because the stress of being able to release the stress was too much for me to handle. And all this have to be done with our eyes closed which increases the frustration. And I already made up my mind to quit.

When the kriya got over the guruji asked how we felt and we all shared our experiences and he said that everyone must be present the next class to continue the second part of the kriya ( I was like 'Oh no!'). I attended the next session with lot less or no enthusiasm at all . But to my surprise I found it lot easier to do the kriya and it was relaxing. Anyways we learnt the kriya and lots more other things were in store in the days to come. And there was lots of games and group tasks which seemed very silly to me but I have learnt how so many simple things such as concentrating on one's breath or being aware of oneself can change persons' life.

I have no regrets being there because I have interacted with wonderful people and did things I wouldn't have done otherwise and have a lot more self awarness. But of course all this will come to of real use only if I practice what I have learnt. That's even more tough because today morning, my limbs are aching :(....But the guruji said such experiences are common and will be over in a few days time :).....

I recommend this course to everyone atleast for the sake of an experience because its worth it.

Visit : http://www.artofliving.org/

1 comment:

In Search Of Myself said...

Hi there,

Great to know that you completed the Part 1 course of art of living. I have been associated with AOL (Yes!+) for the past 1.5 years and it has made a world of difference to my life.

As far as continuing implementing what you have lerant the best way is to be with the group. Do group meditations, go for Sundays long kriyas & be regular with Guruji's knowledge and become a volunteer to do Seva. The second step is to do the Advanced course! It's amazing!!!

Welcome to the family!!!

Jai Gurudev :)
Ashwani Gupta
Chennai Yes!+.