Friday, September 21, 2007

About the Malayalam Film Industry

After watching Alibhai, Lalettan's movie directed by Shaji Kailas . Well like any Shaji Kailas movie, its cliche it had all the fight, violence, father- son misunderstanding and all the larger than life nonsense.

I watch only comedy Malayalam movies at the cinema and deliberately avoid movies of Shaji Kailas and directors of his genre for the main reason being me not wanting to waste my money to see the obvious larger than life goondaism of the heroes.

Today, something struck me as I was watching this movie( a movie full of violence from start to end) that there were families with small kids of different age and size to watch the movie. And I couldn't stop myself from thinking what these kids thought of the movie because I couldn't handle some of the scenes myself and when the crowd cheered such rowdism, did they think it was cool too?!!!.

I really dunno, but I did realise that the movie posters did not mention Parental Guidance to watch the movie. And I also realised that the director and the stars of the movie did not mention it while promoting the movie. I think a little bit of social responsibility can be expected from the Malayalam industry by suggesting some parental guidance for all the movies.

Laletta, I am still your fan.... :)

2 comments:

Suja S Rajesh :) said...

vinu, i completly agree wit u, th new age mal films r jus glamorise violence and witout any mercy. gud post. keep goin :)

Bhavu said...

hmm.... Malayalam film industry doesn't mean a single movie... I think the heading is an improper one.. isn't? :D
Shaji kailas is known for such movies and no wonder the film Ali Bhai is a failure in all aspects...
there were some other good films, like Arabikadha , oekadal in theatres and "Today, something struck me as I was watching this movie" - Selection of themovie according to ur taste is more important... Ali bhai may be a ttreat for some heart core mohan Lal fans...
Larger than life size characters, the presentation of such topics is pathetic in malayalam film industry as it's a small one comparing to Tollywood or Bollywood... (lack of bugjetc is the main problem , as d scope of malayalam movies are very less)

But I agree with the fact, "And I couldn't stop myself from thinking what these kids thought of the movie" - The impact of such violence on poor kids...
But more than the social responsibility of the industry, the responsibility of the parents to their children matters....
i mean, in the selection of movie...
(Because movie an industry... an industry is working for profit... there aim is profit , and for that they have to meet the requirement of all kind of audiences... So, u can't expect much social responsibility from an industry...)